As the owner of a high value home you may have shopped around to be sure of obtaining the best high value home insurance policy you could find to protect your assets. However at a time of emergency, when a house fire breaks out, your assets are probably the last thing on your mind.
Emergency management experts and fire safety gurus all tend to agree that when there’s a house fire safety is not merely your first priority, it’s your only priority! Here are some reminders that might help you to escape quickly from a house fire.
- Have a fire escape plan and practice it regularly.
- Maintain smoke detectors and replace units that are more than ten years old.
- Test smoke detectors monthly using the TEST button, and replace batteries regularly.
- Stop, drop and roll until the flames are put out if your clothing catches fire.
- Stay low, get out and stay out if a building catches fire.
- Feel the temperature of a door before you open it to try to escape from a fire, and if the door feels hot find another way out.
- Escape from the fire first and then call for help.
Everyone needs to focus on safely escaping from the building. Once the fire has been extinguished and mopping-up operations have been completed, you can start to think about filing a claim on your high value home insurance policy.