As you hang your stockings on the mantle, mistletoe under the threshold and prepare for the festivities of the season, we want to take a moment to remind our clients about the potential dangers of the holiday. To echo a holiday favorite in light of the season, we have compiled The 12 Holiday Tips – feel free to hum the famous tune with the partridge in a pear tree in your head as you read; but we can’t promise the same melodious effect!
- Hang tinsel high on the tree, out of your pet’s reach.
- Hide or cover exposed wires from electrical outlets to avoid electrocution.
- Keep lite candles away from curious noses and wagging tails.
- Consider decorating with fake poinsettias, holly and mistletoe instead of the real things, which are poisonous to cats and dogs. Should your pet come in contact with any of those toxins, please contact ASPCA Poison Control Hotline at (888) 426-4435 or visit them online.
- Forgo edible tree ornaments or decorations like popcorn or candy canes as they are just asking for your pet to jump on the tree to sneak a taste.
- Don’t leave wrapping supplies, such as scissors, unattended.
- Hang fragile ornaments on the top of the tree where they are not only prominently displayed, but are also less likely to be broken or ingested by pets.
- Confine your dog if hosting a party to avoid them escaping through the ever-revolving door or jumping on guests, soiling their festive attire.
- Try to keep edible or appealing-scented packages out of reach to avoid seeing the contents strewn across the floor before opening the packages!
- Maintain a consistent feeding route to keep sensitive tummies in stride through the hectic holiday season.
- Fasten the tree securely to avoid an accidental fall and vacuum excess pine needles often to avoid punctures or consumption.
- Give your pets appropriate gifts that make them feel loved on this holiday but don’t upset their stomachs!
Pay attention to these great holiday tips for your pets, courtesy of Valley Oak Veterinary Center! And, as always, everyone here at Sweeney & Sweeney is wishing you a happy and safe holiday season, as well.